Race Day Details
(The Pre Run Will Be Chip Timed)
Coos Bay, OR at 4th and Anderson in downtown Coos Bay and finishing at Marshfield H. S. Prefontaine Track
5K High School Team Competition will start at 9:45 A.M.
/ Wheelchair runners ( if any) will start at 9:50 A.M.
10K + Fun Run will start at 10:05 A.M.
- FUN WALK: A fun walk will be held in conjunction with the 10K run. Walkers have their choice of walking the entire 10K route or the shorter 2-mile course. Walkers will start at the rear of the starting pack and follow the same course until reaching the corner of 10th & Central, where the 2-mile walkers take a left turn on 10th toward the stadium (see course map.) Chip timing will be provided for the 2-mile fun walk. Race timing devices will be turned off at 11:45 A.M. so we can produce timely and accurate race results. Full course walkers finishing prior to 11:45 A.M. will receive official times.
- ENTRY FEE: For participants in the open 10K race and 2-mile fun walk, ages 19 and older, $40 through September 13th; $50 September 14th to race day. For runners 18 and under competing in the 10K or 2-mile fun run, the race fee is $20. Race fees are non-refundable and non-transferrable. For runners competing in the high school 5K competition, special team rates apply. Registration for teams is being handled through athletic.net. Registration fees for high school team competitors is $13 per runners with a team cap of $300.
- REGISTRATION: Applications may be submitted online at prefontainerun.net or mailed to Prefontaine Memorial Run, P.O. Box 1380, Coos Bay, OR 97420. On September 15th and 16th, registration will be held at the St. Monica Catholic Church Parish Hall, 357 S. 6th St., Coos Bay. Registration hours at St. Monica are 4 P.M. to 6:00 P.M. on Friday and 8:00 A.M. to 9:30 A.M. on race day. No applications will be accepted after 9:30 A.M. on race day. Download the registration form here.
- HIGH SCHOOL TEAM COMPETITION: For the 32st year, a boy’s and girl’s cross-country team competition will be held. The team competition will be a stand-alone 5K race run in compliance with OSAA rules. The top three boy’s teams and top three girl’s teams will receive trophies. Entering teams will receive a discounted fee. Teams registering for the 5K race should enter their team participants on athletic.net.
- PACKETS: Packets and t-shirts will be available at the St. Monica Parish Hall on September 15th and 16th.
- FINISH: Only registered runners and walkers who have completed the entire race should enter the finish chute. It is mandatory for runners entering the chute to remain there until their bib tag has been collected at the end of the chute by race officials. Runners are encouraged to pull off their own tag and deposit it in the collection bin for recycling. A large digital clock at the finish will provide runners with unofficial times. Within 10 minutes of your finish, Eclectic Edge Racing will provide each participant with a personalized results printout with their time, pace, overall place, gender place, and age group place.
- T-SHIRTS: An attractive t-shirt is included in the entry fee and can be picked up with your registration packet at the St. Monica Parish Hall on September 15th and 16th during registration hours.
- AWARDS: The awards ceremony for the high school competition and for the overall men’s and women’s 10K winners will be held at 11:30 A.M. on the Prefontaine Track adjacent to the finish line. Divisional awards for the 10K race will be presented at noon. The top three individual placers in the 5K team competition for men and women will receive awards. For the 10K race, awards will be given in five-year age groups with the first three finishers in each division receiving awards.
- COURSE CONTROL:
The course will be closed to vehicular traffic during most of the race. Since the race course is a State Highway, the Coos Bay Police will use their discretion as to when the course is reopened to traffic. Participants still on the race course after it has been reopened should move to the sidewalks and beware of traffic on the course.
- WEATHER: September is generally the most beautiful month of the year on the coast. We have been blessed with superb conditions most years, with mostly sunny skies and temperatures near 65.
- RRCA NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP 10K RACE: The Prefontaine Memories Run has been awarded the 2023 RRCA National Championship 10k Race. RRCA Championship awards will be presented to both male and female winners in the following divisions: Open, Master (40+), Grand Masters (50+), and Senior Grand Masters (60+).